Saturday, March 4, 2017

ENCOUNTER: CONVERGENCE AND REUNION

Encounter, Part 1: Convergence
2004


 Boys?” she asked, as if I had planned it that way. “You had all boys?”
I nodded. This wasn’t going so well already.
We were sitting at the dining room table, a pot of tea between us. I looked out the window. The fog was still hovering over the house, though you could see past the grape arbor now. November had started out warm and soggy, but a cold front had come in, and where the fresh snow met the warm earth a thick fog rose up, shrouding everything. She followed my gaze to the yard, and her voice softened with the next question.
"Pete..." she began, "is he still...?" I hesitated. I had no idea how we got into this situation, sitting at my table together.
"Pete..." she began, "is he still...?"
I hesitated. I had no idea how we got into this situation, sitting at my table together....

continue reading on page 59 of the Winter 2015 Issue of Broad! A Gentleperson's Magazine.


These two stories are the "bookends" of my novel, Ruth Harris: Under the Prairie Moon, the first and final stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment